Friday, July 13, 2007

I'm in for it...

How do I teach Shiloh that's it's ok to throw a ball, but not his bat? Or that it's ok to play catch with Mommy, but not ok to throw toys at me when he wants to play? How do I teach him that it's ok to wrestle with Daddy, but he has to be gentle with the kids in the nursery? How do I teach him that signing please is good when he wants something, but not when it's accompanied by screaming? How do I teach him that it's ok to climb onto the dining room chairs, but not onto the table, and ok to climb onto the rocker, but not onto the tv stand, and ok to climb onto the couch but not onto the tv?

These are all things that I've experienced today. But when he toddles over to me with that big grin on his face and wraps his arms around my neck, it really doesn't seem to matter that my work is cut out for me. That little hug makes it all worth it.

I think I'm in for it over the next few years... :)

4 comments:

S said...

good questions! i have wondered the same things myself. it must be so confusing to these little ones as they try to figure out everything. esther signs please and thinks it's a 'free pass' at times to get whatever she wants. :)

Nate, Kris, Adrianna and Natalie said...

Oh, Anneke, I laughed when I read your post - that's exactly what we're going through!!!!!! It's okay to pull up her own shirt but not Mommy's shirt in public. And it's okay to drop toys on the floor and say "uh-oh" but not food out of our high chair. And it's okay to stand in our pool but not in the bathtub. Doesn't it seem like the baby stage is all gone and now we're into toddlerhood!!! But you're so right, it's all worth it when we see those smiles. :-) Glad to know we're both going through the same thing.
Kris

Katie Barker said...

Wow... sounds quite tricky! Glad you are patient :)

Nate, Kris, Adrianna and Natalie said...

Dear Shiloh,
We hear that you are cutting teeth too! And Auntie Sue said you're cutting the same ones as Adrianna!!! She's awake off and on in the night and has a runny nose with it. These teeth are sure a pain! Hope you feel better soon! Miss you!