Thursday, April 16, 2009

Yummy Granola Bars

I've started making my own granola bars. We all love the one you buy at the store, especially the chocolate covered kind, but they're so full of yucky stuff and pretty expensive if you eat them often (and this year we cut our monthly food budget to 1/3 of what it used to be - yikes!). So I've tried a couple recipes and I think I found one I LOVE. I noticed Money Saving Mom made them for one of her baking days, so I followed it and looked at some variations of it (at Naturally Knocked Up and Joyful Abode). I made them using the stuff I had, so I added some extra oats, wheat bran, and ground flaxseed in place of the peanuts and wheat germ, cut down on the butter and added peanut butter, and threw in some raisins and chocolate chips.

OH YUM!!!

7 comments:

Heather said...

came here through Shelley's blog...
Love this granola bar idea. We go through enough of them too, I'm going to give this a try!

C and C said...

look at you! you are such a creative cook. totally jealous. im pretty sure there is something about flax in proverbs 31... good thing you put it in there. :) cant wait to try one! :)

JordanandSue said...

OOH!! I will have to try them. I'm totally sold on making granola bars now- they're so much better! SO, I now have a blog (don't make fun of me!), and I linked yours to mine to make me look cool. I hope that's ok! :)

Anonymous said...

Yummy! Now I have two granola bar recipes I need to try--yours & Kris's!

Stephanie said...

You inspired me, Anneke! :) I just made some granola bars and they are awesome! Thanks for the inspiration!

Rachel said...

They look good. You should post a more detailed recipe. One with amounts...

Bethany said...

Okay, Anneke - you totally inspired me and I made my first batch tonight - we'll see how they hold together, but so far I'm completely sold on this! Thanks for posting a great idea!