Saturday, August 29, 2009

Special Chats

So on Wednesday night the boys and I went over and invaded Auntie Sue's quiet little evening. We were there till the daddys got home from work, so Shiloh didn't get to bed until about 10:30. Izaak was tucking him in and they started talking about Judas and the Last Supper and Jesus' death. Izaak talked about how Jesus didn't stay dead, but rose again and now he's in heaven building a big house for us, so they started talking about heaven. Shiloh said, "Daddy, I want to go to heaven." So Izaak started asking him all those important questions about why Jesus had to die, and Shiloh knew all the answers. Then they prayed.

I'm honestly not really sure exactly how much Shiloh understands - he still seems so young to me, although I remember vividly having the same talk with my Mom at 3 1/2. But it was such an encouragement to us to know he's learning and at least beginning to understand a little bit about salvation. Now I'm just waiting to see the fruit... :)

Then last night I had this conversation with Shiloh that ended with a funny comment about our baby. We were talking about how Grandmama went to pick up Grandma-Great and bring her back to her house.
Shi: "Where's Grandma-Great's daddy?"
Me: "Well, he's probably in heaven."
Shi: "Why?"
Me: "Well he passed away a while ago."
Shi: "Passed away? Why?"
Me: "Well, when we get old, we die."
Shi: "Am I getting old?"
Me: "Well, we're growing older, but we're still pretty young. You're still a little boy."
Shi: "Yeah, but I'm getting bigger. And when I get big I'm gonna sleep somewhere else."
Me: "Oh? Where?"
Shi: "Outside."
Me: "Really? What about up in the top bunk so Eli can sleep down in this one."
Shi: "Oh right. That's a good idea. Who's going to sleep in Eli's crib?"
Me: "Who do you think?"
Shi: "The new baby." (with a big grin)
Me: "That's right. Are you excited?"
Shi: "Man, we still have to wait a really long time for the baby."
Me: "Yeah, we do."
Shi: "Mom, when the baby gets big, is it gonna just pop right out?"

Um...well, I wish it was that simple... :)

6 comments:

kellyH said...

very cute! how amazing when they begin to see the Gospel! your little man is getting so big!
(and I hope this one "pops" out, hey, it is the 3rd!) :o)

Anonymous said...

Love the dialogue and love the picture. So excited that Shiloh prayed with Izaak : )

The Haskell Family said...

That is sooo exciting! He's so cute! I love your conversation! That's my nephew! Love you!

Donna said...

Awwww...Anneke, that is so sweet and so exciting. You and Jordan both trusted the Lord at 3 1/2 years old, and Seth was at about 4 or 4 1/2. Yes, you all still had so much to learn, but you all seemed to understand so much, too. Enjoy these precious times with your kids -- and keep sharing it with us. I love it. Hugs, Mom

Eric and Sarah said...

Soooo Cute!!!!!
Love you guys lots!!! Can't wait till that new baby pops out

JordanandSue said...

That is so precious! It's is amazing how much they do absorb, and it's a challenge to me that I need to be teaching Elyse early! I love that little guy!